Traveling with a family member who is in braces can present a challenge. Try to be prepared with your own “orthodontic emergency kit”. We suggest you pack some (or all) of the following:
- Toothpick, flosspick, or other interdental cleaners
- Travel toothbrush
- A mini bottle of mouth rinse
- Orthodontic wax to help with discomfort from protruding wires
- A small mirror for examining any possible issues in your mouth
Remember to avoid the following foods to prevent broken brackets and/or wire distortion while you are on vacation:
- Chewing Gum!
- Chewy, sticky, or gummy food
- Apples, pears, and other whole fruits (cut fruit into wedges before consuming)
- Bagels and hard rolls
- Hard candies, cookies or pretzels
- All varieties of nuts, including peanuts, almonds, and cashews – this includes candy with peanuts
Follow these tips and you can focus on having a good vacation! Please call Dr. Briscoe if you have any questions.